“You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
MBSR was developed in the late 1970s at the University of Massachusetts Medical School by Jon Kabat-Zinn.
Since then, thousands have participated in this program and learned to use their innate resources and skills to respond more effectively to stress, pain and illness and to live their lives with more ease and joy. MBSR is currently the mindfulness based program with the most scientific research and most practiced worldwide.
MBSR is an 8-week, experiential learning program based on mind training. Through mindfulness meditation and its subsequent integration into everyday life, we learn to respond to our need to find greater cognitive-emotional balance.
It’s part of the program
• Guided mindfulness meditation
• Mindful movements
• Personalized instruction and group sharing
• Audios with guided meditation for personal practice
• Course manual
• Certificate of completion for those who participate in all sessions and on the retreat day.
Note: This course does not give you competence to teach mindfulness or apply the program to others, but it is a prerequisite for anyone who wants to take the MBSR TTI – Teacher Training Intensive.
In this course we will learn
• How mindfulness can help reducing stress, pain and illness, improving physical, mental and emotional well-being.
• To become more aware of our thoughts and dealing with difficult emotions.
• To respond with more choice when facing difficulties, rather than conditioned by reactive impulses.
• How to include mindfulness in our daily life.
• To practice and apply mindfulness techniques in the personal and professional field.
• To integrate mindfulness into the social context facilitating more conscious communication.
The program consists of eight sessions of 2h30 each over 8 weeks, plus a 6h retreat day, usually between the sixth and seventh session.
Session 1 – Introduction to mindfulness
Session 2 – Perception
Session 3 – Doing Mode vs Being Mode
Session 4 – Stress reactivity
Session 5 – Responding with mindfulness
Session 6 – Difficult communications
Session 7 – Taking care of myself
Session 8 – Keeping mindfulness alive
Please send us a message if you are interested in joining a in-person MBSR course in English. We will get in contact with you as soon as possible.
Littleboomland, next to FCT at Monte da Caparica
We practice tiered costs to allow everyone to choose according to their financial possibilities. + information
A. €260 (benefactor)
B. €220 (middle rate)
C. €180 (supportive rate)
Costs for companies: €260 + VAT
João Palma is a Certified MBSR Teacher and Mentor of new MBSR Teachers through the UCSD Center for Mindfulness.